Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What I am Reading

I just recently finished Nightwalker the first book in the Dark Days Series by Jocelynn Drake. I met Jocelynn Drake when a friend and I were at the Kim Harrison signing here in Cincinnati at our local Joseph Beth Booksellers. She was extremely nice and accommodating to all of us bugging her with questions while we waited to get our books signed. After meeting Jocelynn and learning about her books I went right home and got on Amazon and picked up her first 3 novels. After finishing up another book I was reading I got into Nightwalker. It was a quick read and not the type of story I usually get into. I am a fantasy/sci fi reader normally but after reading some Kim Harrison and Jim Butcher I have ventured into the the paranormal or urban fantasy genre. I am not a huge vampire reader although I will admit I did read Twilight after some pushing from friends. 

Nightwalker is told from Mira's POV and she is a 603 year old vampire living in Savannah GA and is often referred to as the "Firestarter" due to her ability to control fire. The story does bring vampires back into their old glory with lots of blood and gore and death. Not really my type of story but I wanted to give it a try to support a local author. Jocelynn does give a good back story and history that goes with her vampires and it was hard for me to like Mira at many points in the story. It isn't my type of story but I thought it was a nice read for a beginning book and I look forward to running into Jocelynn at the RT Convention in Columbus at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment